About This Site
Welcome to my site of acclaimed reviews of Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and more. I'm Jamahl Epsicokhan, and I've been posting my reviews online since 1994. I founded this site in March 1995. Since then it has grown to include reviews of the complete Star Trek canon. More about me.
My goal is to provide the web's best single-author site for reviews about Star Trek. Too lofty? Perhaps. But my approach is one that balances fan geekiness with down-to-earth accessibility, scrutinizing the shows as mainstream television. I try not to get too bogged down in the technobabble or plausibility of the franchise's universe, but I do discuss those aspects and whether they work as drama on their own terms.
The reviews offer plot recaps as well as opinion and analysis. Because I cover every episode of every one of the Trek series (as well as the movies), I bring a completist fan's expertise to the table. I also invite you to discuss the shows yourself. This site features an active commenting community by a lot of smart and articulate participants.
Series covered and when they were reviewed
|Star Trek: The Original Series||Retrospectively written in 1998|
|Star Trek: The Animated Series||Retrospectively written in 2023|
|Star Trek: The Feature Films||From First Contact onward, written shortly after original theatrical releases; previous seven film reviews written from 2001-2005|
|Star Trek: The Next Generation||Retrospectively written from 2005-2013|
|Star Trek: Deep Space Nine||Written from 1994-1999 during original run of series (except seasons 1-2 retrospectively written in 1997)|
|Star Trek: Voyager||Written from 1995-2001 during original run of series|
|Star Trek: Enterprise||Written from 2001-2005 during original run of series|
|Star Trek: Discovery||Currently being written as the the series airs|
|Star Trek: Picard||Written from 2020-2023 during original run of series|
|Star Trek: Lower Decks||Currently being written as the the series airs|
|Star Trek: Prodigy||Currently being written as the the series airs|
|Star Trek: Strange New Worlds||Currently being written as the the series airs|
|Star Wars||For first seven movies, written in January 2016; subsequently as movies and series were released|
|The Mandalorian||Currently being written as the series airs (began reviewing in 2020 during season 2)|
|Battlestar Galactica||Written from 2005-2009 during original run of series|
|Caprica||Written in 2010 during original run of series (first half of season only; second half not written)|
|The Orville||Written from 2017-2022 during original run of series|
|Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda||For first two seasons, written from 2000-2002 during original run of series (I stopped after that)|
|Movie Reviews||This is a section for miscellaneous one-off movie reviews that don't fall into the Star Trek or Star Wars categories|
|Articles & Miscellaneous||Additional one-off articles, essays, and TV reviews|
|Jammer's Blog||Stray topics, personal observations, general complaints, ad hoc reviews of movies and TV, and whatever else I feel like writing about and sharing. It do what it do.|
General review information
- Spoiler warning: Nearly all my reviews contain significant spoilers. If you haven't seen an episode/movie and don't want to be spoiled, then be forewarned.
- Format and length: My reviews are a blend of synopsis and analysis/opinion. Although they are intended to be read by those familiar with the shows, most of them also contain enough synopsis so that someone who hasn't seen the shows can fully understand them. The length of the reviews can vary widely, as different seasons and shows were written at different times under different circumstances.
- My rating scale: I use the old-school four-star model, not the more typically popular five-star model of today. See details here.
Other site features
- User comments: Commenting by readers is permitted at the end of most reviews and articles. You can view or search all comments in the comment stream. Please also read the commenting rules and etiquette.
- Site search: Search for contents on this site, powered by Google.
- Randomizer: Want a random review? Use the randomizer to pull up any random review on this website.
- RSS feeds: You can add links to the latest reviews, blogs, and comments to your feed reader. Get the feeds here.
Support this site
Like my site and want to help support it? Find out how you can donate!
The fine print
If you are curious about the evolution of this site during the 28 years it has been around, see the site design history and the content history and notes.