Welcome to my site of acclaimed reviews of Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and more. I'm Jamahl Epsicokhan, and I've been posting my reviews online since 1994. I founded this site in March 1995. Since then it has grown to include reviews of the complete Star Trek canon. More about me.
My goal is to provide the web's best single-author site for reviews about Star Trek. Too lofty? Perhaps. But my approach is one that balances fan geekiness with down-to-earth accessibility, scrutinizing the shows as mainstream television. I try not to get too bogged down in the technobabble or plausibility of the franchise's universe, but I do discuss those aspects and whether they work as drama on their own terms.
The reviews offer plot recaps as well as opinion and analysis. Because I cover every episode of every one of the Trek series (as well as the movies), I bring a completist fan's expertise to the table. I also invite you to discuss the shows yourself; this site features an active commenting community by a lot of smart and articulate participants.
Series covered and when they were reviewed
Unless noted, all episodes of the following have been reviewed.
- Star Trek: The Original Series — Retrospective reviews written in 1998.
- Star Trek: The Next Generation — Retrospective reviews written from 2005-2013.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine — Reviews written from 1994-1999 during the series' original run (except seasons 1 and 2 reviewed retrospectively in 1997).
- Star Trek: Voyager — Reviews written from 1995-2001 during the series' original run.
- Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda — Reviews of the first two season written from 2000-2002 during the series' original run. (I stopped reviewing this show after its second season.)
- Star Trek: Enterprise — Reviews written from 2001-2005 during the series' original run.
- Star Trek: Discovery — Reviews are currently being written as the the series airs.
- Star Trek: Picard — Reviews are currently being written as the the series airs.
- The Orville — Reviews are currently being written as the the series airs.
- Battlestar Galactica — Reviews written from 2005-2009 during the series' original run.
- Caprica — Reviews of the first half of its only season written during its original run in 2010. (Reviews of the season's second half were not written.)
- Star Trek: The Feature Films — Reviews of all movies from First Contact onward were reviewed shortly after their original theatrical releases. The previous seven films were written from 2001-2005 during DVD special edition releases.
- Star Wars — Reviews of the Star Wars movies were written starting in January 2016 shortly after the release of The Force Awakens.
- Movie Reviews — This is a section for miscellaneous one-off movie reviews that don't fall into the Star Trek or Star Wars categories.
- Articles & Miscellaneous — Additional one-off articles, TV reviews, and movie reviews.
- Jammer's Blog — Stray topics, personal observations, general complaints, ad hoc reviews of movies and TV, and whatever else I feel like writing about and sharing. It do what it do.
General review notices
- Spoiler warning: Nearly all my reviews contain significant spoilers. If you haven't seen an episode/movie and don't want to be spoiled, then be forewarned.
- Review format and length: My reviews are a blend of synopsis and analysis/opinion. Although they are intended to be read by those familiar with the shows, most of them also contain enough synopsis so that someone who hasn't seen the shows can fully understand them. The length of the reviews can vary widely, as different seasons and shows were written at different times under different expectations.
- My rating scale: I use the old-school four-star model, not the more typically popular five-star model of today. See details here.
Other site features
- User comments: Commenting by readers is permitted at the end of most reviews and articles. You can view or search all comments in the comment stream. Please also read the comment policy.
- RSS: You can add links to the latest reviews, blogs, and comments to your feed reader. Get the feeds here.
The fine print