Welcome to Jammer's Reviews, featuring Jamahl Epsicokhan's acclaimed reviews of Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and more. I've been posting my reviews to the Internet since 1994. I founded this website in March 1995. Since then it has grown to include reviews of the complete Star Trek canon.
My goal is to provide the web's best site for reviews about Star Trek. Too lofty? Perhaps. But my approach is one that balances fan geekiness with down-to-earth accessibility, scrutinizing the shows as serious television. I try not to get too bogged down in the technobabble or plausibility of the franchise's universe, but I do discuss those aspects in detail and whether they work as drama on their own terms.
The reviews offer plot recaps as well as opinion and analysis. Because I cover every episode of every one of the Trek series (as well as the movies), I bring a completist fan's expertise to the table. I also invite you to discuss the shows yourself; this site features an active commenting community by a lot of smart and articulate participants.
Series covered and when they were reviewed
Unless noted, all episodes of the following have been reviewed.
- Star Trek: The Original Series — Retrospective reviews written in 1998.
- Star Trek: The Next Generation — Retrospective reviews written from 2005-2013.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine — Reviews written from 1994-1999 during the series' original run (except seasons 1 and 2 reviewed retrospectively in 1997).
- Star Trek: Voyager — Reviews written from 1995-2001 during the series' original run.
- Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda — Reviews of the first two season written from 2000-2002 during the series' original run. (I stopped reviewing this show after its second season.)
- Star Trek: Enterprise — Reviews written from 2001-2005 during the series' original run.
- Battlestar Galactica — Reviews written from 2005-2009 during the series' original run.
- Caprica — Reviews of the first half of its only season written during its original run in 2010. (Reviews of the season's second half were not written.)
- Star Trek: The Feature Films — Reviews of all movies from First Contact onward were reviewed shortly after their original theatrical releases. The previous seven films were written from 2001-2005 during DVD special edition releases.
- Articles & Miscellaneous — Additional one-off articles, TV reviews, and movie reviews.
I also write a blog at JammersBlog.com. This blog covers stray topics, personal observations, general complaints, ad hoc reviews of movies and TV, and whatever else I feel like writing about and sharing. It do what it do.
General information and notices
- Spoilers: Nearly all my reviews contain significant spoilers. If you haven't seen an episode/movie and don't want to be spoiled, then you really shouldn't read the review. (Of course, your reason for being here might be to read spoilers, so by all means go ahead.)
- Review format and length: My reviews are a blend of synopsis and analysis/opinion. Although they are intended to be read by those familiar with the shows, most of them also contain enough synopsis so that someone who hasn't seen the shows (or can't because of their location) can fully understand them (and for some the reviews can serve as an alternative to the shows themselves). The length of the reviews can vary widely, as different seasons and shows were written at different times under different expectations.
- My rating scale: I use the popular four-star model (not five). See details here.
- This site contains copyrighted material: The general usage rules are "don't alter or make money off my stuff" and "don't plagiarize or pretend you wrote my reviews" — mostly common sense, but read the Copyright & Disclaimer for details. (If you have questions regarding the use of my work, please feel free to send me e-mail.)
- Advertisements: I run some limited advertising using Google AdSense. These ads are intended to bring in a small amount of revenue for me while being useful to the visitors of this site and without detracting from the user experience. I have no control over the content of the ads or the sites to which they link; use your own discretion in clicking on them. Your use of these links is completely your prerogative. I take no repsonsibility for the conduct of any external organization.
Additional features and content delivery
- User comments: Commenting by readers is permitted at the end of most reviews and articles. You can view all comments with the Comment Browser. Please read the comment policy.
- Review Mailer: E-mail notifications of new reviews and major announcements are sent to subscribers when they are posted on this site. Learn how to join here.
- Mobile edition: This is a stripped-down version of the site for use on mobile devices like smartphones. The text formatting is optimized for use on small screens.
- Printer-friendly feature: All reviews contain a link to a format of the review that's ideal for printing. This version of the review should also print by default when you select "Print" in your browser from the main page.
- RSS feeds: You can add links to the latest reviews, blogs, and comments to your feed reader. Get the feeds here.
- Plain-Text Edition: If you want to read my reviews free of HTML (or keep a lower profile while reading at work), you can read or download many of my reviews in plain-text format.
Structurally, this site was completely redesigned in March 2012. The mobile site was added in December 2009 and updated in the 2012 redesign. Cookies are required to override the auto-detect feature of the mobile website. Read the design comments for details and notes. This site should be user-friendly and accessible on all modern browsers.